When I last posted I had plans on making a pair of gloves as well as a jacket to go with it... but I learned soon enough that plans change... Since middle school started for my daughter I have been swamped in school projects one after another...It's bad enough that I don't have much time to sew during the week so I really look forward to my weekends to get most of my sewing done. These schools project have cut into my weekend time also, running here and there and then coming home and spending time being creative with that information so she can meet the project deadlines.
I dont remember going through all of this when I was in middle school... I guess times have changed...
Well I was able to finish this jacket that I started right after my last post... As for the gloves I had to put those to the side for a later date when I have enough time to work on it...
Inspired by Project Runway, misses coat or jacket in two lengths with front, collar and sleeve variations. This is a very easy pattern and the instructions are clear. However since there are so many variations on this pattern instruction I advise you to highlight the sections on the instructions that you will need.. It will make it easier to follow along.
Fabric: I used a 7 wale corduroy in a burnt sienna color which I purchased from Mood's.
Notions: 9 - 1" buttons
Lining: Bronze color polyester charmeuse
I underlined the back and front pieces with muslin instead of the usual iron on interfacing. I cut the muslin from the same pattern pieces and sewed it onto the wrong side of the fashion fabric pieces..
The ruffled sleeves were a lot easier to construct then I thought they it would be. The pieces are cut from the fashion fabric and the lining at the same time. The pleats are created on the fabric and the lining then stitch together at the edge. The lining is then turned inside and based across the top. The ruffled sleeve is then attached to the edge of the sleeve.
The back tab is cut on a bias and attached to the back seam before the back sides are attached.
For the pockets I followed the method used for patch pockets in Jackets for Real People . I think this method gives you a neater finish with less bulk on the seams. Which made it easier to machine stitch the pockets in place. The pockets are cut on a bias but not the flaps.
The only problem that I had with this pattern was the collar. The instructions say to pin the right sides of the collar together and then stitch between the notches while easing upper collar to fit... I had a hard time doing this.. The upper collar pattern piece is a lot bigger then the under collar. I guess if I was using a stretch fabric this may have worked but my fabric had no stretch so I had to cut about 5/8 off the edges of the upper piece so I could make the pieces fit together. The collar turn out good...